Surprise... is it worth the secrecy...



Happy new year y'all!! Hope your holiday was lovely?? Let me tell you a story, purely fiction straight from my imagination.. have fun

“Tara, I’m not going down without a fight!!! Who does he think he is to make me fall in love with him and then break my heart” Kike wailed on the phone.

“Babe, calm down!! What happened?” I asked. “Tolu ni o, Tolu fe te iru oka mi mole o” Kike responded. I asked where she was and she replied she was driving home, I then asked her to stop over at my apartment because I was in the supermarket and I couldn’t give her the attention she needed.

I’m Omotara Adeleke, a 29 years old Human Resource Manager in a subsidiary of a conglomerate in the country. Kikelomo Ojomo is of the same age, and she’s an executive secretary in a new generation consulting firm; we’ve been friends since primary one and I love her dearly as a sister but she tends to overreact and act dramatically that was also one of the reasons I wanted us to discus what was wrong physically and not on phone. Tolulope Ademide is Kike’s boyfriend, they’ve been together for about three years.

Kike arrived at my apartment a few minutes before seven. Dinner was ready and I served us. Kike picked on her sphagetti but I was famished and ate  while making small talks with her, I even ate half of her meal… not my fault mehn, I was starving!

After dinner, we went to the room to talk.”ehn en babe, what did Tolu do this time around?” I asked her. “He’s cheating on me!!” was her sharp reply...”What?! Tolu?! Cheat?! Lailai!! The Tolu I know wouldn’t do that.” I told Kike. “Mo ti mo pe oni gba Tara, I wouldn’t have believed it if I didn’t see it with my eyes. Aye mi o!!!” Kike wailed

“Kike, calm down!! how did you reach this conclusion o, you shouldn’t believe hearsay or make hasty assumptions” I chided her

“Tara, let me land! I didn’t conclude just like that, he’s been acting secretive for about two weeks so I decided to tail him after work today, he came to my office to say goodbye saying he wouldn’t be able to come over tonight, I said no problem. Just after he left, I cleared my desk and rushed out of the office, saw his car just leaving the premises. He went to the restaurant at the mall, that chic restaurant. There he met a lady who they hugged too close for comfort, he then opened the door for her  to enter just before him, when last did he do that for me ehn?” Kike said bitterly.

They ordered and after their meal, they talked at length over God knows what then the lady showed him some stuff on her iPad and showed Tolu, Tolu’s eyes lit up!! He then gave her an envelope and they left, I rushed after them from my corner of the restaurant, they stopped by the jewelry store at the mall and checked out engagement rings, they agreed on one and paid for it. After three years, Tolu never bought me a ring!! Tolu ma gba oo” Kike said

I looked at my friend, tears streaming down her eyes and kept telling her sorry, I was prompted to ask for a description of the lady. “she’s quite tall,fair complexioned and well endowed, why?” Kike asked. The description was that of my cousin, Tunrayo, the event planner planning Kike’s 30th surprise birthday. I was supposed to meet Tunrayo and Tolu at the mall but I bailed because I was going to be stuck in a meeting at the arranged time. I wasn’t aware about a ring being involved though, Tolu probably wants to pop the question soon. I’ve been sworn to secrecy, yet my friend looked utterly miserable, should I tell her what’s going on…

“Kike, what you said doesn’t prove much, it might not be what you think” I told her.. “Not what I think kwa? I know you would support him, always defending him! Whose friend are you gan?” Kike accused
I didn’t pick offence; Kike has always been hot-tempered when angry or hurt. “Girlfriend, iwo na ni mo n ja fun ore mi”
“Tara, if that is true, why couldn’t he tell me where exactly he was heading when he came to the office, he could have left without checking up on me, do you know he has forgotten my birthday’s on Sunday, he hasn’t made mention of it at all” Kike said

“babe, he can’t forget your birthday, he’s probably fixing something, remember he’s Tolu the man you love” I told her. “that love gan gan is the problem, Tara. Tolu hurt me so bad today, I’m going to observe him some more before I make up my mind though, thanks for listening to me whine” she said. “You’ll be fine dear, I’ll talk to him sho gbo”

Kike shrugged but I could see the hurt still lurking in her eyes but I can’t do anything about it without breaking the secrecy oath. She slept over at my place as it was Friday, but I felt bad… I consoled myself with the end justifies the means.. I don’t look forward to her reaction when she knows I was in on the birthday surprise… Kike can be a fierce tigress. Till Sunday, the day of reckoning… I switched off the bed lamp and slept.

Do have a beautiful 2013!! May it be all we expect!!

Comments

Popular Posts